Tuesday, May 22, 2007

August Adventure


Originally uploaded by brianc9.
In some exciting news, Aaron and I were selected to participate in the Backpacker Magazine project to help map the Continental Divide Trail. We were assigned a remote section of the trail on the Idaho/Montana border and are hiking 60 rugged miles of the trail. The goal at the end of the project is to produce an interactive map of the entire trail by using the GPS waypoints taken, digital photos, and other recordings of the 200+ (6-member) teams spread out across the 3,000 mile trail. This map will greatly help out recreationalists of all types and the larger hiking community (especially thru-hikers!). Until we can hike the whole thing end-to-end, at least we can at least contribute some sweat and sore muscles to help out with this exciting project and make some friends along the way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you'll be a sort of digital Lewis and Clark team - with more people, of course. You will post more about this, won't you? Some of us only have vicarious adventures.

Noodler said...

That's cool. I just got back from hiking a 100 mile section of the AT in NC/GA. What a way to contribute to a very cool project.

zenhikers said...

Yes, I will keep everyone updated! I am going this week to a clinic to help me learn how to use a GPS. Should be fun, though I have to say the less stuff I carry on the trail, the happier I generally am! I think I forgot to post it before, but here is the link to the Backpacker CDT Project blog if you want to follow along.