Saturday, May 05, 2007

Possibly the best green mush ever!


Palak paneer curry
Originally uploaded by yadavop.
When I was a little girl and my parents took me out for Indian, I always got the "green mush", which to this day I love passionately. Commonly known as "saag paneer" or "palak paneer", this is an Indian dish made with spinach, curry, and homemade cheese.

Recently in Minneapolis, for the School for Scanning training I stumbled upon a nice little Indian restaurant called Bombay Bistro and even though I was alone, I sat down and had dinner. What a lucky decision, since I think I may have found the best saag paneer I have ever had. I also ordered a glass of Shiraz, garlic naan bread, and some basmati rice. I finshed it all and loved it!

You can see this photo of the dish that I am blogging from Flickr...it looks similar to the one I had at Bombay Bistro. In my quest for yummy Indian food, I have even made my own homeade paneer (cheese) to make saag paneer at home. It worked out remarkably well, but alas I haven't had to time to recreate it.

if you've never tried this dish, here's what you should do: find a local favorite Indian restaurant, go to the lunch buffet (usually saag paneer is on the lunch buffet) and try it! When ordered as an entree you can often get them to make it spicier if you like it hot, as I do. Naan goes prefectly with it, as does rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for the paneer, would you? I can and do get this dish at a local restaurant, but I'd like to try making it at home.

zenhikers said...

I think the first time I made homeade saag paneer, it was from the 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes cookbook by Carol Gelles (check your local library). It turned out very well. I also found a Tyler Florence recipe on the Food Network: Saag Paneer. Trader Joe's and other grocery stores carry some varieties that you can microwave, but I'd go for fresh or restaurant versions until you are totally addicted like me!