Monday, July 16, 2007

Good Luck Class of 2007


Goat Rocks
Originally uploaded by chtrailproject
Every year in the spring months, thousands of long-distance hikers hit the Appalachian, Pacific Crest, and Continental Divide National Scenic Trails with the hops of going all the way. These would-be hikers always have a fond place in my heart since in 1999 and 2002, when I was one of them.

This year I am here in Las Vegas, getting up every morning, going to work, and fighting the heat. But, I am also lucky because once initiated into this friendly family you remain a member for life. And this year, for the third time, I am volunteering to transcribe a hiker's trail journal so that their family and friends at home can follow along. (Time in town is much better spent eating, eating, doing laundry, and eating.)

My hiker this year is completing the Pacific Crest Trail and has already hiked the Appalachian Trail. I have full confidence she will finish the sections of the trail she needs to piece together to make her hike a thru-hike. I just received the first installment of her journals and I encourage you to read along. It is fascinating to follow each individual hiker's personal and physical journey.

Cucumber Boy (my hiker's trail name) is currently in the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area of Washington, soon to cross into Oregon. This is one of my all-time favorite, most spectacular, and well-loved place in the entire world.

Good luck to Cucumber Boy, all the 2007 thru-hiker hopefuls, and all the hiking family wherever you are. Thanks for the memories and for keeping us desk-bound folks full of hope!

No comments: